Sentence with Agreements: A Guide to Proper Grammar
One of the most essential elements of effective writing is proper sentence structure. A well-constructed sentence not only communicates your message clearly but also lends credibility to your writing. To achieve this, sentence agreements play an important role.
Sentence agreements refer to the proper matching of subjects and verbs in a sentence. This is essential as it ensures that the sentence is grammatically correct and easy to read. Agreement errors can lead to confusion and miscommunication, making the reader lose interest in your content.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when ensuring proper sentence agreements in your writing:
1. Subject-Verb Agreement:
The subject of a sentence and its verb must agree in number, meaning that a singular subject requires a singular verb, while a plural subject requires a plural verb. For example:
– The dog barks at strangers. (singular subject, singular verb)
– The dogs bark at strangers. (plural subject, plural verb)
Be careful of tricky subjects that may seem singular but are actually plural, such as “each” or “every.” In these cases, the verb should be singular. For example:
– Each of the boys is going to the party. (singular subject, singular verb)
2. Pronoun-Antecedent Agreement:
When using pronouns, it is essential to match them with their antecedents in both number and gender. For instance:
– She loves her job. (singular, feminine)
– They love their jobs. (plural, neutral)
It is important to clarify the antecedent of a pronoun as using the wrong pronoun can confuse the reader. For example:
– Maria and her sister went to the store, but she forgot her wallet. (It is unclear which person forgot their wallet)
3. Collective Nouns:
Collective nouns refer to a group of individuals as a single entity and require a singular verb. For example:
– The team is practicing for the tournament. (singular noun)
However, when the emphasis is on the individual members of the group, a plural verb may be used. For example:
– The team are discussing their strategies for the game. (plural verb)
In conclusion, proper sentence agreements are crucial for effective communication in your writing. Always ensure that your subject and verb agree, your pronouns match their antecedents, and collective nouns are used correctly. With these tips, you can confidently deliver clear and well-structured sentences in your writing.